Sportable Code of Conduct
The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines that help assure that Sportable programs provide an environment that allows athletes to function at their maximum potential while representing the organization with the highest standards of personal integrity, truthfulness, honesty, and fortitude. Sportable, at its sole discretion, makes the final determination on whether an individual is eligible to become a Sportable member.
Anything that is deemed inappropriate, derogatory, or disrespectful could be grounds for exclusion of future involvement with Sportable programs or future activities.
All athletes shall realize that participation in any of the Sportable programs or events is a privilege, not a right.
Code of Conduct
1. All athletes will respect themselves, coaches, opponents, teammates, officials, and spectators at all times. Acting or saying anything that could be deemed disrespectful to any participant will not be tolerated.
2. Athletes are expected to strive for excellence in all aspects of their athletic careers including athletic performance and personal management.
3. All athletes shall maintain high standards of moral and ethical conduct, which includes self-control, responsible behavior, and consideration for physical and emotional well-being of themselves and other members, as well as courtesy and good manners. Athletes shall conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike manner consistent with the spirit of fair play and responsible conduct at all times and all places.
4. All athletes shall comply with all organization, team rules, and policies regarding participation and eligibility.
5. Athletes shall not use illegal substances or performance-enhancing supplements.
6. Athletes are expected to attend all practices, team meetings, and competitions or communicate in advance with coaches and program managers when conflict occurs.
7. All athletes shall report to appropriate Sportable staff or coach any injury or aggravating condition that occurs during a Sportable activity.
8. All athletes shall report any problems or concerns with another participant, coach, or volunteer to program staff.
9. All participants will respect members of their team, other teams, spectators, and officials, and engage in no form of discriminatory behavior or in any form of verbal, physical, or sexual harassment or abuse. The term “harassment” includes, but is not limited to, offensive language, jokes, or other verbal, graphic or physical conduct relating to the above aforementioned race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, or other factors protected by law, which would make the reasonable person experiencing the harassment uncomfortable or which could interfere with the person’s athletic performance.
10. Athletes recognize that Sportable is their “home” and shall show respect for the physical environment of the facilities by assisting to maintain a clean, safe and tidy environment. Athletes will maintain a similar environment at any other locale, including competition and training venues, lodging, and where they are participating as a representative of the Sportable organization.
11. Athletes shall dress in an appropriate manner at all times in order to reflect a positive image of oneself and Sportable. Any athlete dressed in inappropriate attire as deemed by Sportable Staff will be asked to correct the issue. If the issue cannot be corrected, the athlete will be asked to leave the premises.
12. Athletes shall respect Sportable’s, teammates, and their own adaptive equipment and sporting equipment. Athletes shall not make changes to any equipment that is not their own without the permission of a Sportable Staff member or the owner of said equipment.
Athletes and volunteers are expected to use appropriate language. Use of profane or abusive language and obscene gestures will not be tolerated.