Adaptive kayaking is one of Sportable’s most inclusive sports as kayaks can be adapted for a variety of physical disabilities using state-of-the-art equipment such as paddle pivots that allow one-arm control of the kayak and adaptations for wrist grips and seat position. Kayaking encourages independence in movement and decision-making, and provides ample opportunity for socializing while maintaining COVID-19 safety protocols. Kayakers benefit from being on the water and fully-immersed in nature while enjoying one of Richmond’s most popular destinations, the James River.
Sessions will be offered through multiple two-part series beginning in April 2021. The first session of each series will be held at the scenic Dutch Gap Conservation Area on the James River with the second session taking place at various locations throughout the Greater Richmond Region. Additionally, exclusive veteran-only events in conjunction with community partners will be scheduled this summer and fall, courtesy of the generous support of Transact Capital Partners.
The program will provide individuals and military veterans with physical disabilities, visual impairments, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), and other health related issues with the opportunity to learn the basics of kayaking alongside the region’s most experienced staff.
The Flatwater program is open to those ages 13 and up.
Athletes MUST meet the following Essential Eligibility Criteria:
1. Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
2. Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water
3. Independently hold head upright without neck / head support
4. Manage personal care independently or with assistance of a companion
5. Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
6. Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
7. Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket
Kayaking with Sportable allows me to get out into nature, something that can be extremely difficult for a wheelchair user. Once I’m in a kayak, I can explore all that the James River has to offer while getting a great workout.